Photobucket

Monday, April 9, 2012

Pineapple Upside Down Cake, My Way

Happy Spring to all. I hope that you had a wonderful Easter. The weather here has finally been more like spring, blue skies, a bit windy and cooler temps.

I wanted to share my cake that I made for Easter, I have no photos because they devoured it and it was an experiment anyway, wasn't sure that they would like it. But they did and it is super easy so I am sharing with you.

You will need the following:
! box White cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1-2 cans of either crushed or chunk pineapple
1 stick butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
unsweetened applesauce to replace the oil in the cake
Pineapple juice to replace the water in the cake ( I reserved the juice from the pineapples and used that)

Drain the pineapple and reserve the juice.

Prepare the cake as directed with egg whites, replace the oil with the same amount of applesauce and the water with the juice from the pineapple.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, I used a 13"x9" cake pan, put the stick of butter in the pan and melt in the oven. When melted, sprinkle the brown sugar over the bottom of the pan. Use enough pineapple to cover the bottom of the pan over top of the butter and brown sugar.

Pour and spread the cake batter over the pineapple and sugar mixture. Bake in the center of the oven for approx. 40 minutes. When it is done, let cool for just 5 minutes or so, the invert the cake onto a cookie sheet or other plate to cool, if you leave it in longer it may stick.

We loved it and it was so simple! Let me know what you think.

So spring has found me trying to paint and get the early yard work done as we have had an early spring, we also had a power outage that caused me to lose my entire operating system on my computer and all files and folders with it. Kind of like starting all over again! My own fault, I had nothing backed up.

So what has been going on with you? Fill me in!





This was one of my new creations for spring, since all my spring pictures were lost, thought I would share this with you.

HAPPY SPRING!

 

6 comments:

  1. The cake sounds divine, going to have to try it. I also sub applesauce for oil when baking and no one can tell the difference. I love the birdhouse jar (it is a jar isn't it?) Whatever , I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gigi, I have a thing against yellow cake. When I was looking for a quick recipe, they all wanted yellow cake, I decided to just use white. I love white cake. It turned out really good and using the applesauce was something I had forgotten about, glad I remembered. Don't need anymore fat in my diet. let me know how you like it. I wanted crushed pineapple, but the store was out, do you believe it? So I used the chunks, it was good that way too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cake sounds awesome will have to give it a try and let you know how it turns out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, thank you, I hope that you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout
    out and tell you I truly enjoy reading your articles.

    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same subjects?
    Thank you!

    Look at my site diets that work

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments and suggestions, thanks for sharing with me.